Belkin’s chargers have just been updated with new housings that consist of 73-75 per cent post-consumer recycled plastics (PCR) and will be sold in plastic-free packaging.
The products that will get this little eco-update are:
- BoostCharge Magnetic Wireless Car Charger 10W
- BoostCharge USB-C PD 3.0 PPS Wall Charger 25W
- BoostCharge Dual USB-C PD Wall Charger 40W
- BoostCharge Pro 4-Port GaN Charger 108W
- BoostCharge Pro Dual USB-C GaN Wall Charger with PPS 45W
- BoostCharge Pro Dual USB-C GaN Wall Charger with PPS 65W
Belkin says that there will be little difference in terms of appearance, quality and function. From what we can tell, they look almost identical and the only way to tell one from the other is through its packaging, which will be labelled accordingly. Recovered plastics on their own (at this point in time) are not rigid enough and it’s tricky to get the appearance and colour you want, which is why they are often mixed with fresh plastics. Belkin adds that it took them two years to get the housings the way they are right now.
The changes are part of Belkin’s goal to be 100 per cent carbon neutral in Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2025. The current product transition will save approximately 7,000 metric tons of carbon emissions and reduce CO2-equivalent emissions for these products by up to 67 per cent.